A quiet morning walk, a special breakfast, the songs of birds in my trees, and a bouquet of lilies in my house replace my old traditions of Easter Eggs for the children and a “dressed up” Easter Worship in a Baptist Church for most of my life. That old tradition is not me now.
This majority Catholic country has both traditions and superstitions that I explored those first few years here. This week’s Tico Times online article Processions and Superstition Mark Easter Week in Costa Rica describe only some of those and my blog posts & galleries linked below describe even more.
Those first years I tried the local Evangelical Church and the main Catholic Church for Easter Services, neither of which fit me as I identify now more with Quakers (Friends) than any other group, though there is no Friends Group meeting near me now. (I may start traveling to San Jose for a Friends Meeting soon.) Here are links to earlier blog posts related to Easter and four photo galleries also related to Easter:
Past Easter-related Blog Posts & Galleries
- Crimson Patch & Semana Santa – April 11, 2022
- Happy Easter! – April 4, 2021
- ¡Felices Pascuas! – Happy Easter! – April 1, 2018
- Good Friday Silence – March 30, 2018
- Atenas Homes Prepare for Easter During Lent – March 24, 2018
- Las Ruinas de Ujarras, The Oldest Church in Costa Rica, 1580 – Photo Gallery of a 2018 Visit
- Atenas Easter Processional 2017 – A Photo Gallery
- Atenas Easter Processional – April 16, 2017 Blog Post
- Pre-Easter Color in Atenas – April 11, 2017 Blog Post
- Holy Week is Approaching in Atenas – April 6, 2017
- Easter Week in Granada, Nicarauga – March 2016 Photo Gallery (my best Easter cultural experience)
- Resurrection Morning Mass & Processional – April 5, 2015
- Lent Purple – March 19, 2015
- Churches of Central America – A Photo Gallery of one’s I’ve photographed.