Schools help form us, especially in the younger years. They are very important to who we are. First I include a photo gallery with one pix of each school campus. Click thumbnail to see larger image. Then I will write a little about my schools and what I say could change from time to time! 🙂
In the above header photo I am the 5th boy from left on the center row in my 3rd Grade Class photo at Yocum Elementary School, El Dorado, Arkansas. I was in this school for 2nd through 6th Grades or about 1946 to 1952.
MY SCHOOLS (click image to enlarge & manual slideshow)
Things About My Schools to Brag About
- The El Dorado Junior High Band had a big positive influence on my life which I plan to share here soon.
- My fellow high school Class of ’58 graduate Anita Bryant was Miss Oklahoma and Runner-up for Miss America in 1958 and a popular singer for years, though I did not like her arrogant right-wing anti-gay activity later. We were in “Youth for Christ” together at Rogers.
- Also in my high school graduating class was David Gates, lead singer for the music group “Bread.” He sang at the one ’58 Class Reunion I attended, our 30th!
Not Proud of all my Schools . . .
Today I do not like to claim either Ouachita University or Southwestern Seminary because they have become so right-wing politically, though they were fine when I was there and I have some good memories of each which I will eventually share here.
Ouachita is the alma mater of both Mike Huckabee and his daughter Sarah Huckabee Sanders, both of whom I want to distance myself from because of their radical right-wing philosophies and support of the immoral, lying President Trump.
The seminary was nearly destroyed by the architect of the “conservative takeover” of the Southern Baptist Convention who later became president of the seminary and in so doing the enrollment dropped to about half. Fortunately in 2018 Paige Patterson was fired because of his sexist philosophies and for defending a rapist while in another seminary. Patterson like Trump is an evil man who is not following Christ and I believe his judgement by God will be severe.
Continuously involved in Schools for Life
During my career life I was constantly back in school for college classes, training programs, and fun learning. Then countless “employee development,” especially when computers came along! I enjoyed being active in both my children’s schools in multiple ways from PTA to scouts and special projects at Burton & Stokes. When Juli was at Genesis Academy, I produced a yearbook two years in a row.
Now in retirement I had a ball as a reading tutor for 1st and 2nd Grade at Tulip Grove Elementary. See my page Reading Tutor. And here in Atenas, Costa Rica I have volunteered as a helper in both public high schools for their annual “English Language Festival” and for the second year now will lead an after school conversational English club of Colegio Liceo students going on a student exchange trip to the states. I also helped a private school 6th grade class start a student blog online. So schools are still fun for me! 🙂
My Former Schools’ Websites
- Yocum Elementary School, El Dorado, AR
- El Dorado Junior High (now a Middle School), El Dorado, AR
- Will Rogers High School, Tulsa, OK And our Class of ’58 Website, limited access & ’58 Yearbook online
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
- Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, AR
- Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Ft. Worth, TX