My Thoughts Surrounding Jerry’s Last Years & Death
So much has “not gone right” in my life including my relationship with Jerry from teen years until 2003 when in humility we renewed our relationship and I can say we were friends or true brothers the last 5 years of his life. It required several trips to Minnesota and swallowing some pride but I felt good about our relationship at the end and so thankful that I am the one who got to be with him the last four weeks of his life, even though tough at times. As I lifted him from the potty-chair to the bed, he breathed his last breath and I called the nurse. After that I was ready to get out of there and did soon after Steve finally arrived to take charge. I made my plane reservations, drove to the airport Holiday Inn for 2 or 3 hours sleep and was off to Nashville. A rough night, but another fresh beginning!
Feature photo is of Jerry’s son Steve spreading Jerry’s ashes into the headwaters of the Mississippi River.
Photo Galleries Related
- 2003 Jerry Gets Stem Cell Transplant at Mayo Clinic (scrapbook page)
- 2005 May-June — Bemidji, Northern Minnesota with Jerry (Gallery)
- 2007 December – Rochester Mayo Clinic . . . (Gallery)
- 2008 February – Rochester, Minnesota . . . (Jerry’s last 4 weeks) (Gallery)
- 2008 September 13 — Minnesota, Spreading Jerry’s Ashes (Gallery)
It is interesting to note that in 2003 the docs told Jerry that the stem cell transplant would give him maybe 2.5 more years of life. He lived 5 more years. 🙂