MENU – Great River Road, Minnesota to Gulf of Mexico
Presented below as the map would, traveling from North to South, though at different times over 7 years. The links are to my trip photo galleries. Sometimes multiple visits to a section of the road are included. For more information about the Great River Road, maps, what to see, etc. check out the website: experiencemississippiriver.com it has lots of good info if you are planning to travel any part of the road.
The references to Jerry are to my younger brother who lived in and around Bemidji for 30 years and loved canoeing the headwaters of the Mississippi. At his request we spread his ashes on the headwaters at Bear Den Canoe Landing in 2008. Jerry was for several years the editor of Bemidji’s weekly newspaper The Bemidji Pioneer.
Now here’s my photo links:
- Headwaters: Lake Itasca to Bemidji, MN
- Lake Itasca to Bemidji, MN, GRR, 2005 including Itasca State Park, Canoe Landings and the headwaters Great River Road drive
- Nearby Town of Bagley, MN, 2005 (Last town Jerry lived in.)
- Nearby Town of Shevlin, MN, 2005 (“Interesting” Pass-through.)
- Bemidji, MN, 2005 (Where Jerry lived most of 30+ years.)
- Bemidji to Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
- St. Paul, MN to Wisconsin
- Reelfoot Lake State Park
- Memphis, 2011
- Memphis Zoo, AZAD, Beale Street, Mud Island, Botanical Gardens, Brooks Gallery, Dixon Gallery
- Memphis Zoo, 2009
- Memphis, 2008
- Mud Island River Museum, Chucalissa Indian Village, Beale Street, Memphis Zoo, T.O. Fuller State Park, & Memphis General Shots
- Memphis Zoo, 2004
- Southeast AR, GRR, 2008 May including Arkansas Post Restoration & Museum
- Other photos from along the Arkansas Great River Road
- LA, 2010 April From Mississippi state line to terminus of GRR at Gulf of Mexico, Venice, LA, including many stops along the river and time in New Orleans – a big trip!
“I take to the open road, healthy, free, the world before me.”
– Walt Whitman