A different hotel/lodge every month except April when a gang from Nashville come to volunteer in the children’s home here in Atenas. 4 lodges are repeats but such great places they will be totally new experiences! I start this month near the Nicaragua border sleeping 5 nights in a treehouse and from there it is everything from Whale Watching to Tapirs and of course lots of birds! There will be new wildlife this year and also its the year I expect to top 300 bird species that I will have photographed in Costa Rica! What a life! 🙂
And you may wonder why I am planning so far ahead? Well, it was not far enough for some places I wanted to visit, especially for next Christmas when my first two choices were already booked. Costa Rica and its best lodges and hotels are very popular and stay booked more than a year in advance.
The links on the hotel/lodge name is to that hotel’s website, if you are interested. And the map gives the approximate location of each visit this year using the month number for when I visit that spot and listing indicates lodge or national park visited that month.
- Maquenque Eco Lodge, Boca Tapada
- Doubletree San Jose & Turtle Beach Lodge Tortuguero
- Hotel Punta Leona, Jaco Beach
- Hogar de Vida Children’s Home, Atenas
- Selva Verde Lodge, Sarapiqui *
- Macaw Lodge (Nat Geo), Carara National Park
- Xandari Nature Resort, Alajuela *
- Hotel Banana Azul, Puerto Viejo, Caribe (Carnival Week) *
- Cristal Ballena Hotel, Uvita (Whale Watching) Ballena NP
- Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincón de la Vieja National Park
- Arenal Observatory Lodge, Arenal Volcano National Park *
- Tapirus Lodge, Braulio Carrillo National Park
*The 4 starred hotels are repeats for me, meaning I really like them! 🙂 And this is what it is like to be Retired in Costa Rica, the name of my blog! Pura vida!
For those who know Costa Rica the map helps understand where I’m traveling this year, my first to not go to Osa Peninsula, as I explore new places.