One favorite photo from each month of 2018 – And I had trouble picking just one! Thus the header photo above is an extra one from October and the only one here from Esquinas Rainforest Lodge, Piedras Blancas National Park, my #1 lodge this year.
Wow! This was too hard to do! My very best photos were probably all in 3 or 4 months, so I will try something different next year, like maybe my top 5 or so favorite photos. I think I will also try to rank the hotels/lodges/parks I visited this year.
Ranking My Top 7 Lodges in 2018
I rank for all aspects of the lodge for a birder and/or nature lover, not necessarily in this order: number of birds and other wildlife seen, quality of guides, quality of overall service, restfulness of room, quality meals, overall ecology consciousness and sometimes the extra services, depending on the place and situation. My 2018 Top 7 lodges and hotels in order of my preference or enjoyment:
- Esquinas Rainforest Lodge, Piedras Blancas National Park, north of Golfito
- Danta Corcovado Lodge, Corcovado National Park, Los Patos Ranger Station
- Arenal Observatory Lodge, Arenal Volcano National Park, inside the park
- Rancho Humo, Palo Verde National Park in Guanacaste
- Hotel Banana Azul, Puerto Viejo
- Tranquilo Bay, Bocas del Toro, Panama
- Xandari Nature Resort, Alajuela