Oh so many of my Great Egret (eBird link) photos are favorites, but I chose this one because it is so simple from the close-up of face to the background. My Great Egret Gallery has one as a ballet dancer and others flying, but I like this one that I photographed on the Tarcoles River within an hour of Atenas!
They are found almost anywhere in Costa Rica where there is water. Links to places where I’ve photographed them:
- Jungle Crocodile Safari and Bird Watching Tour on Tarcoles River
- Rancho Humo next to Palo Verde National Park in Guanacaste
- Palo Verde National Park or Palo Verde Boat Tours (Tempisque River)
- Maquenque Eco-Lodge & Reserve, Boca Tapada
- Rio Sierpe Mangrove Tour near Golfito
- Tortuguero National Park, all lodges