NOTE: This gallery is in the TRIPS folder of galleries where you can check out every trip I have ever made in Costa Rica with photos of the lodges, birds and other sights in each place (56). Trips are listed chronologically with most recent at the top. OR for a focus on just the lodges or hotels, I have an evaluation/review of every one I have visited here at: Costa Rica Lodges & Hotels (35)listed alphabetically by name.
It might not be exactly how I would plan a two-week tour of Costa Rica, but it is a very good plan and includes a variety of sights and locations. And it includes both Tortuguero and Drake Bay, two of my very favorite places in Costa Rica! It would be a good choice, so consider it!
AND SHORTER OPTIONS
If you only have 9 days to tour Costa Rica, I recommend Caravan.com tour of Costa Rica. It has some of the same places as 14-day tour without Tortuguero or Drake Bay, so of course the two week tour is better! 🙂 But Caravan gives you more for your money than any tour company here, period! The all-inclusive price is a real bargain!
And if you are considering moving here or retiring here like me, I consider it essential to take Christopher Howard’s Live in Costa Rica Tour. It is one week (8-10 days) with a 3-day tour of the Pacific Coast, a 2-day ARCR Seminar in San Jose to answer every possible question, and then a 3 day tour of the Central Valley (where I live). And he had an optional tack-on tour of Guanacaste when I took it. Check his schedules on his website, there seem to be different lengths of tours.
And however you see Costa Rica, I hope you find our
The farming town of Atenas, Alajuela, Costa Rica from a walk over the hill above my house. My house is bottom center between and below the big brown & orange roof houses. Orange roof is my landlord. The church steeple is the center of town, facing Parque Central.
Hope you will notice that Atenasis the only town mentioned as the only one being in the top 10 places in the world to live! It also has National Geographic’s label of “Best climate in the world.” People have asked me if I ever regret my “radical decision” to move here? The answer is unequivocally “No!” I love it here and continue to slowly become a part of the place. I will have been here 8 months on the 24th of this month!
I live in the Central Valley close to the best shopping, entertainment and medical services, while I can easily travel to a wide range of nature spots in an hour or three! (6 hours to farthermost point in country) Last week I was on Pacific coast just an hour away. In September I go with birding club to the Talamanca Mountains maybe two hours away plus a tack-on adventure of my own. Then in October I go with the club again to the Caribbean coast, maybe 3 hours away, after which I plan to explore further south in the Caribbean. All these exotic vacations almost monthly with no plane fares and moderately priced hotels, meals and transportation. I love being Retired in Costa Rica! I’m “Happier than a Billionaire!” (To borrow the title of another expat’s blog and book) Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. ~Andre Gide
And if you didn’t bother to go to the link above, here’s the 14 reason without his good intro:
1. Highest score on happy life years by the Happy Planet.
2. Top 10 for best places to live or retire according to International Living.
3. An amazing amount of different locations to live, within a maximum 6 hour drive of each other.
4. The huge Central Valley urban location along with hundreds of beach locations on two coasts.
5. A real democracy with many political parties.
6. NO army and the funds are spent on education.
7. A large number of the habitants are bilingual.
8. The quality lifestyle you have been used to all your life.
9. Perfect weather with many micro climates to choose from.
10. Atenas is on AARP Top 10 for best places to retire abroad.
11. #29 world ranking for Press Freedom by Reporters without Borders in 2010 (1st in Latin America).
12. #31 world ranking for Global Peace by Institute for Economics & Peace in 2011.
13. #49 world ranking for Economic Freedom by the Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal in 2011.
14. Affordable healthcare and an important destination for cosmetic surgery and dentistry.